Business Coaching and Mentorship Volunteers for Young Entrepreneurs
Kenya Community Development Foundation (KCDF) and the YALI Regional Leadership Centre are currently implementing a business skills immersion project that has a key component for Business Development Services in East Africa (Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania). The BDS training will be conducted to 55 young entrepreneurs/enterprises in East Africa on a rotational country- based basis and structured to address both operational and market oriented factors. Out of the 55 entrepreneurs 25 women will be supported through coaching and mentorship.
The purpose of BDS training and Coaching is to build on the leadership training provided to the young entrepreneurs at the YALI Regional Leadership Centre, East Africa and will delve into practical operational issues that business owner’s face. The services will include entrepreneurship development, business planning, practical/real life problem solving; practical sales and marketing; financial management; site visits to similar businesses; peer learning and networking; and funding and going to scale.
Business coaching for Female Business owners: Building on KCDF’s work on mentoring girls and women, a tailored business coaching and mentorship program will also be offered as part of the BSI program. This coaching and mentorship programme will include addressing the unique needs of women business owners based on collected data; interaction and networking and matching of the alumnae with successful women business mentors; site visits to women-owned businesses; and identification of women business associations for the young women leaders to join.
ROLE OF WOMEN BUSINESS MENTORS
YALI and KCDF are looking for experienced Entrepreneurs to volunteer as mentors to the young women entrepreneurs.
Volunteer Mentors are needed for a 6-month period to mentor participants of the Business skills immersion program to be implemented in Kenya Uganda and Tanzania. The mentors will provide technical advice to ensure that, mentees develop the necessary skills; are exposed to opportunities within the spaces they are exploring businesses in; are aware of available resources; and can make appropriate business decisions.
The Mentor will report directly to KCDF coaching and mentorship coordinator.
The Business Mentor will:
- Share/use their experiences in business start up to guide mentees;
- Hold mentoring sessions with the mentees during the 6 months duration.
- Help the mentees build their self-esteem and confidence as well as motivate them
DETAILS OF THESE TASKS ARE AS CAPTURED BELOW
- Share/use their experiences in business start up to guide mentees
- Be a source of business related information for mentees
- Practice shrewd listening to understand and appreciate the mentees
- Spend at least two hours a month with each assigned mentee by getting in touch with the mentee at least twice in the month..
- Advice, support and direct mentees in planning and decision making.
- Provide objective assessment and observations that foster development and growth of mentee business ventures;
- Guide mentees to manage social, cultural and emotional issues they encounter to aid in personal and venture growth;
- Help the mentees build their self-esteem and confidence, as well as motivate them.
- Stimulate shifts in mindset for renewed perspectives to promote creativity and innovation
- Be encouraging and supportive
- Serve as a positive role model by modelling desirable behaviors.
- Advice support and direct mentees in planning and decision making
- Support the mentees identify and join available business networking forums
- Communicate observed needs or challenges of mentees to KCDF coaching and mentorship Coordinator via e-mail or telephone
- Demonstrated experience as an entrepreneur
- Experience in mentoring
- Open to cultural difference
- Good relationship builder
- Exposure to entrepreneurship and starting businesses
- Possess active listening skills while encouraging open communication
- Strong communication skills
- Can adapt to and manage group and team dynamics
- Committed to confidentiality of information
- Commitment to be prepared and ready to give 100% to the mentor/mentee relationship;
- Experience and exposure to business networking forums
This opportunity is purely on voluntary basis and there is no remuneration attached to it. Those who participate in this program however get a chance to give back to their community by supporting young women entrepreneurs and further enhancing their mentorship skills. This will also help you build your CV and provides a platform for you to network with fellow entrepreneurs.
Deadline for receipt of applications is Friday 25th August 2017. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted by, Wednesday 30th August, 2017.
To download a soft copy of this advert, click here!